Monday, July 25, 2011

Role Models

I was watching a reality tv show the other day and something one of the contestants did really got me thinking. I am not usually one to watch reality tv, but I started watching this show mainly because someone I have been a fan of for years was participating and I wanted to give my support. He is actually the inspiration for this blog. In one particular episode, he stood up for one of the other contestants who was being ridiculed and bullied if you will. It could have very easily cost him everything he had worked so hard for, but he did it simply because it was the right thing to do. This got me thinking about the kind of role models our chidren/teenagers are being exposed to these days.

I remember when I was growing up I had role models I looked up to, people that I wanted to be like. I thought it was cool to be a professional athlete, a famous musician, or a movie star. However, I was also extremely naive, because as I got older I found that some of these same people I looked up to may not have always been the best people to admire, and as I matured I realized it takes more than a famous face to be a good role model.

Unfortunately, times have changed, and the role models this generation are looking up to are much worse than some of those I looked up to. I believe this has alot to do with the state of the world today. The thought that drugs are cool, promescuity is accepted simply because everyones doing it, and its ok to sabotage someone in the name of competition are the lessons being taught today. I love music and movies as much as the next person, but it really bugs me that some famous people lead their public lives with no regard sometimes to what message they are sending to their fans. When you are in the public eye, everything you do right or wrong is seen by the world. Celebrities have been given a platform that reaches millions of people and with this platform, they have the ability to change the world one person at a time for the better. However, many take this opportunity for granted and make it all about them. Therefore, it pleases me when I see someone who takes his/her calling seriously and makes the best of the platform they have been given to help and encourage. This brings me to the guy I was speaking of above.

This singer sings with an Irish group who travels all over the US and Canada and has been doing so for several years. Throughout the years I have been a fan of the group and this singer, I have only seen fans take away positive messages from this group because they are good guys with good hearts who believe they were blessed by God with an amazing talent to touch lives and inspire people. They go out every tour and with every CD they record, with one thing in mind - what can we do for our fans this trip? They love their fans and thank them constantly for their support and they try to live to a certain standard as to not let their fans down.

This specific singer I am referring to is the youngest of the group and although he has been touring since he was only 14, he is the one who has the youngest age group of fans, therefore he has the ability to be a wonderful role model to children/teens who hear his music or see his shows. I believe this is an honor he doesn't take lightly. As I watched him stand up for his friend because it was the right thing to do, it really moved me to see this kind of selflessness on tv. I want him to win this competition, not just because I am a fan of his voice, but because I am a fan of his heart! His parents and the adult mentors in his life have taught him the importance of helping and encouraging people in their time of need. I know the fan base for the show he is auditioning for is worldwide and consists of young adult/teenagers and I know they would benefit greatly to see this young man and look up to him as a role model.

Unfortunately, children/teenagers now days are being exposed to all kinds of things through tv, radio, and even in schools and sadly churches that are not positive. I know I may make some people mad but the truth is our world has turned out in such a negative way because the people in our lives that are supposed to mentor and guide us have failed to teach us what is right and wrong behavior. Children learn by example. They learn to talk and act by mimicking things they see and hear. If a child/teen is exposed to a lifestyle full of selfishness, bullying, jealousy, and pride and are not taught otherwise, they will grow up to believe this behavior is ok and in turn, teach others that look up to them the same. Sadly, the people in our lives who should be our best role models are sometimes too busy with their own lives to worry about what is shaping ours, so this generation turns to the tv, internet and radio to fill that void and without someone to guide them on whether what they see and hear is right, they grow up not knowing or understanding or simply not caring that what they are doing to others is wrong. Also, unfortunately, alot of media outlets shy away from people like this young man because to be a good person who teaches good things is frowned upon in the industry. The producers/directors/writers want to have all the controversy and negative things that cause drama because that is what the people want to see and it just continues the vicious cycle.

It is important, now more than ever, to have positive role models in our children's lives. There are too many suicides, murders, and hate crimes due to the lack of proper guidance and positive role models. Please take a moment and talk to your child. Find out how they stand on certain issues. Talk to them about how they look at other people and teach them that being different is not bad. We are all special and our differences are what make us who we are. If we were all the same, the world would be pretty boring. With every person we meet, we have the chance to shape that person's life in a positive way. There will be times that we will falter and that in turn will lead others to falter, but all that is asked of us is to try our best to be the best we can be, so that we can help others be the best they can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment